Monday, February 2, 2009

The department now accepting "cash" contributions for the flower fund.

As Mekka Parrish says, it’s that time of year for your support of the flower fund. The department will be accepting “cash” contributions.

When Bobby Burgess was chief, he instituted a program where all the profits from each soda and candy machine was pooled and on the 20th anniversary of every police employee, sworn or not, received $1000.00. That was a good idea. But Thomas Brown became director of public safety and ended it. The reason being, in his mind, was the potential for fraud or theft. There wasn’t much accountability, but you never heard of anyone complaining they never received their money.

A flower fund is a good idea. Put with a department of 1200 sworn personnel, the “cash” dollar amount could be substantial. We just wonder if there is any accountability. If not, there should be and if there is, it needs to be made available through the department newsletter, at least quarterly, if not monthly.

Bolton and Keisha need to reassure everyone the money goes toward all, contributors and non-contributors alike, and does not go for a round of Margaritas at La Fiesta or towards a U-Haul truck.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bolton and Keisha would be wasting their time attempting to assure me of ANYTHING. They lost all credibility with me a long time ago. I wouldn’t trust Bolton, Keisha, Ransifer, Anderson and the rest of the command staff to walk my damn dog. Why do they think I would give them money? They have proven to be fundamentally dishonest people and I have no respect left for any of them.

Anonymous said...

Stop puttin on...

I've had a couple of kids, a coulpe of deaths and been in the hospital(duty related) since putting in on the flower fund and haven't seen nan rose,tulip, carnation or a flower off the side of the road.But I bet someone hasn't missed a round of drinks...

Anonymous said...

I didn't get flowers last month when I missed 4 weeks from being in a 41I. Guess they ran out of slush funds.

Anonymous said...

I've seen teams chip in to help out an officer/detective or send flowers...but I've never heard of one getting flowers from the Flower Fund.

Anonymous said...

I have seen the flowers that were sent to an injured officer. The card was signed with TeBo's name only. Sorry but I think that it should have read something along the lines of, From your DKPD family. Try and get a dime from me.

Anonymous said...

Boy, how things have gone down hill in DKPD since Chief Burgess retired. Makes me sad. I am not DKPD, but an officer with 17 years exp in ATL area.