Sunday, April 18, 2010

Commentator "LoFlyer" Speaks On Early Retirement

I heard as of last week 850 employees of the 1200 eligible took the county up on its retirement offer, over shooting the desired total of 550 by 300 and proving DeKalb employees are smarter than our commissioners give us credit for.

I kept my mouth shut on the retirement offer because I am self-centered and wanted the best deal possible leaving the county. Now that it is done, I have to ask both our commissioners and pension board (PB), "What the hell were you thinking?" when you came up with this gold plated jewel? As neither group intends to release their assumptions or the thinking behind the plan I will offer my thoughts and observations on the subject.

Little information was provided by the pension board except the bare-bones proposals of the various plans and options. I did hear that the board members primary concern was making sure they were individually included in the incentive. That is all hearsay and I invite any pension board member to explain why the "gold-plate" option was chosen.

My theory on the decision is that most of the assumptions used by the BOC and the PB were wrong, and that most of the PB was more interested in their personal welfare than what was best for the employees, retirees and the county. Probably the worst assumption made was by the BOC on employee working conditions, salary and morale.

I personally work in a dump that if it was inspected by OSHA would probably be shut down for structural damage. We are normally severely understaffed and underpaid, and our morale sux because the BOC's atrocious relationship with employees, to the point that they have to hang large posters in the county buildings so that employees will recognize who they are and quit making embarrassing comments in their presence.

Many of the eligible employees would of left with just being allowed to retire with no penalty and no incentives. The pension board appears as I have said earlier to have been more concerned with their personal benefits when leaving. An interesting question is how many of the pension board are eligible and taking the early retirement incentive?

I could be entirely wrong on my theories but the absence of any public discussion on the matter would lead one to believe the worst. My new calculations on the payout is 850 employees times 18 grand equals 15,300,000 dollars. I am truly sorry, mates!

8 comments:

Slamin Ethel said...

Well I tell ya Mr, or Mrs Lo Flyer dont be sorry, be thankful that you are in a position to be able to leave.
I would run like hell if I were eligiable, but sadly I will have to fight the good fight for many more years to come.
Like any political organization the weasels that are involved only want to fatten their own pockets.
Dekalb County is no different, infact I would venture to say they are worse.
Racial discrimination, stealing, bad morale, shitty work equipment, and yes those infamous posters of the walls.
Now finally I know who is charge of this place.
Now finally I know who to point my middle finger at when I walk by.
I sit and wonder just how life became so damn miserable, not just at the county but in general.
Im just sick and tired of being sick and tired, somtimes I just wanna end it all.
Walk away leave everything I know and own sitting right where I left it.
Then I think theres people that should go away as well, how can this be accomplished lawfully?
Im guessing that should be left up to a higher authority, someone who will judge them one day.
Sadly that person will not be me, I will just sit back and watch, and one day read about them in some obituary.
The county is left with nothing more than inexperienced officers making dumb ass decisions.
So I say to all who can leave CONGRATULATIONS, BE THANKFUL THAT YOU POLICED DURING A TIME WHEN YOU WERE REAL POLICE!

Anonymous said...

Real leadership says it all. We have not had that in many years. I do not expect any coming in the future. With all these appointees to command positions we will soon be at the bottom like before.

The politics is the same just a new CEO who wants to be called Mr. CEO.

He has the same agenda , that is he runs the police department.
You ought to hear how his staff talks to officers , like they are their servants. They have to guard the building Ellis works in and also the Maloof Building. How many officers are used every day guarding this man and his offices?

Anonymous said...

Please tell me Y'all do not have a new MR CEO,just damn. I thought Vern was one of a kind at least I do not think he believes Guam will tip over but Hank [Guam might tip over} Johnson will probably be back. It is great to be eight years gone but the laughs keep coming. Congrats to all of you who are able to escape to the others,Good luck it appears you will need a good bit.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lo Flyer but I already don't trust the pension board as far as I could P after 2 cans of a 12 pack. No wonder the suckers keep us the dark all of the time.Looking out for their own best interest. Same 'ole Dekalb BS!and they don't represent our interests do they? The employees need a law firm to watch our for our pension interests !!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Boy these jackasses are something else. No money for retirees cost of living raises but they give themselves a golden parachute to glide out of this hell hole on don't they.I hope the FOP or the union have something to say about all this dodo.

Anonymous said...

Name one thing the FOP or the union has done for you!

Anonymous said...

I have nothing but the utmost respect for police officers; my son is one in Ohio. But I do have a HUGE problem with the fact that it was reported to PD about something looking very very strange - the back of a van piled high, wall to wall, crammed with copper tubing - a private van. Well thanks to the police officer who told the people who turned them in - my life is now a living hell as that of my family. Guess the best thing is why bother reporting something very suspicious if you are going to be outed. By the way, my son can't believe this happened. Very unprofessional to say the least is his comment.

Anonymous said...

To the citizen that turned in the copper stealing thugs. I'm sorry the officer ratted you out for doing the right thing. But this is a result of rookies training rookies. This department is doomed. There are very few veterans on the streets of Dekalb to teach these officers the proper way to police or handle informats.